Thursday, January 04, 2007

Thursday, January 4, 2007. Back from the holiday adventure. Details to follow.

For now, to ring in the New Year on a happy note, and as I wait for a massive pdf file to download from the Air Force Historical Studies Office, please be aware of the passing of two intellectual giants. Elizabeth Fox Genovese you have probably heard about, and this article and this blog post are fine tributes to the late historian. Seymour Martin Lipset, the political sociologist, also passed away this week, and we all are worse off with him gone.

The best tribute we can offer to luminaries is to continue engaging their work and passing on their lessons to the future. The future might not care yet--they are otherwise occupied--but they will get there.



Like I said, details to follow...

1 comment:

J.D. said...

Tom,

I will call you in the next few days, but I want to make sure I get Happy Birthday greetings in to you. So Happy Birthday! Any plans?